Thursday, April 26, 2012

Reason #6 to workout "Because you'll feel bad if you don't"

By Mel B. Melissa Wiese

This is number 6 of 100 Reasons You Should Workout Today

Thinking about disappointing myself is a good reason to get moving on any given day.  I like that I've made the commitment to be healthier.  It's disappointing to find that I've either made excuses or filled my day with other activities, and I can't workout.  Sometimes this is motivating enough to workout at strange times or get moving where ever I happen to be. 

This past Saturday we were visiting a friend that lives several hours away.  We were at an outdoor beer and chili festival.  By the time we got moving that morning and had breakfast, it was time to head to the festival.  We knew that we would have to head home pretty soon after the festival because the drive was long.  This was an outdoor festival so we did get plenty of walking in.  I felt like I needed to stretch.  I saw a little girl doing cartwheels in the grass.  It'd only been at least 20 years since I've done a cartwheel.  So I put down my purse and my fancy necklace made of a beer can.  I warned my husband to step aside... and I did a somewhat weak cartwheel.  When I stood up, at first I saw stars, and it made me laugh.  I could feel the places in my body that had stretched to help me throw my feet up into the air.  As the stars dissipated, I was ready to try again.  This time I threw my feet higher and I was conscious of where I wanted them to land (near where my hands would release as I came back up).  This time was much better.  It felt good to be stretching the rest of the world receded for just a few moments.  I probably looked silly, but I really didn't care.  It felt good.

Some nights we get home late, and we workout anyway, but that's always hard for me.  My motivation is low when I've had a long day at work and a long drive home.  I'm likely to choose to skip on those evenings.  So, this week we've started working out at 6am.  This means waking up before 5am so that we can drive to Alamosa (45 minute drive).  So far?  I'm a little more weary, but my days seem longer.  I am enjoying having workout partners.  I like having a protein shake first thing in the morning.  I never have to worry about fitting in my workout.  No more disappointments. 

This morning our workout was P90X2: Shoulders, Arms, & Balance and X2 Ab Ripper.  It was great.  I felt like this was my best effort at Ab Ripper to date.  I love this program.  If you've done P90X, you've got to try P90X2.  I think it's more fun even though it's also more challenging with all of the balance and stability exercises. 

If you haven't tried P90X, I highly recommend it!  It was my gateway to fitness.

No comments:

Post a Comment