Thursday, May 3, 2012

#12 - Because you want to be a good example to your kids

Photo By mikebaird "Mike" Michael L. Baird

While I don't have children of my own, I do have a niece and godson that spend a fair amount of time at our house.  I've often thought about what kind of example I want to be for them.  I am struggling to learn about fitness, healthy food, and wellness in my late 30's.  During my youth, my parents had multiple jobs, they were misinformed, and they had to watch their budgets closely.  They did the best they could. 

My mom would cover canned green beans with a big dollop of margarine before she put it on the stove to heat.  She made delicious mashed potatoes with rich cream gravy made from the drippings of her fried chicken.  Salad was the only form of fresh vegetable that we ever ate and that was a rare occurrence.  Every other vegetable was canned (or occasionally frozen.)  Meats were often ground with a high fat percentage because they cost less than leaner/choice cuts.  She bought chicken whole and left the skin on because that was the part that tasted best when fried.  All other foods were processed, boxed, and enriched.  We had white bread, white rice, and enriched blond pasta.  The best and healthiest foods were raw milk and farm fresh eggs that mom picked up from a friend. 

I still prefer raw milk when I can find it, and I absolutely love the richness of local farm eggs.  However, I've had to relearn or throw away so much of what I learned about food growing up.  Every once in a while I fall back on boxed mac & cheese, but now I try to plan meals around whole foods.  When I open I can, I prefer to buy the "no salt" varieties.  I'm learning to love hearty whole grain breads, pastas, and brown rice.  I want to be a good example to the children in my life.  I want them to learn healthy habits from a time that they're very young.  Perhaps then, they won't have to struggle when they're older, like we do. 

When it comes to fitness, my niece and godson get bored watching us workout every day.  They will join us for a few minutes and then go back to playing.  What is important is that I want them to see us being dedicated to our health.  As they get older, they'll have a concept of what it takes to keep their bodies healthy and working well.  

There are a lot of excuses to not workout.  P90X2 helps me make good choices, for myself, my partner, and helps me be a good example for the kids in my life.  This workout is what motivates me and works for me.  What works for you?

Crys

No comments:

Post a Comment