Monday, May 7, 2012

#16 - Because you want to be an athlete

Have you been tempted to join one of the many mud obstacle 5k races that are happening all over the country?  There's Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Rugged Maniac, Mighty Mud Dash, The Dirty Dash, Dirty Girl (for women only)... I'm sure you've heard of others that I've not heard of.  Sometimes they tempt me.  I want to be an athlete.  I want to push myself to my absolute limits and see how far I can go. I was never an athlete in school.  I was always one of the last girls picked for the volleyball team.  I'm uncoordinated, slouchy, and slow, but these muddy crazy sounding courses intrigue me. Last year I saw several people around me  talk about, prepare for, and then do the Warrior Dash. It finally pushed me to start thinking about fitness.

Still not an athlete, but I'm starting to get there.  With fitness and nutrition, but mostly with determination and drive, I'm starting to see an athlete underneath this regular girl's body.  Finally, it feels like the work is paying off.  It took a bit of a system reset, strict diet, and some pretty heavy workouts to get things going in the right direction.  I hear some people can just cut sugar out of their coffee in the morning and lose weight, but I can't do that anymore.  Really, I want more than to be thin.  I want to look great under the clothes that fit great.  I want to be strong and healthy.

The Rocky Mountain Triathlon is happening in Silverthorne this summer.  They have a "sprint" run for those of us who are thinking of doing their first triathlon.  It's already sold out for this year, but I'm thinking I'll be ready for next summer.  Who's with me?
Crys

No comments:

Post a Comment